Snyder’s of Hanover Offers Some Crunchy Snack Tips for 2012
HANOVER, PA — Dieting, losing weight and adopting a healthier lifestyle consistently rank among the top resolutions every year. It’s no surprise then that the start of the new year reignites the debate about the impact of snacking on weight loss. The good news is more reports and studies show that sensible snacking is not an obstacle to healthy weight loss.
Snyder’s of Hanover, the maker of America’s favorite pretzel, offers tips on how pretzels, which are low in fat and calories, can be part of a sensible snacking strategy in 2012. Snacking is believed to help manage hunger and reduce binging at mealtime. The key is to balance taming hunger pangs throughout the day with sensible snacks that won’t ruin your appetite for meals.
- Add a little crunch – Studies have shown that crunchy snacks can offer a more satisfying snacking experience when compared to other snacks. With more than three dozen pretzel and snacking varieties, Snyder’s of Hanover offers lots of variety to keep afternoon snacking exciting — including traditional hard pretzels as well as sticks, rods, thins, minis and even pretzel chips.
- Model snacks after the USDA’s MyPlate guidelines – The new dietary guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture encourages Americans to plan meals, and even snacks to a certain extent, by thinking about the percentage of each food group they are consuming in a day. Pretzels are a great low-fat snack that meets the grains requirement. Try a few pretzels along with an apple, piece of low-fat cheese or a glass of low-fat chocolate milk to mix in the fruit and veggies or dairy requirements.
- Look for filling, high-energy snacks — Snacks made with whole grains have complex carbohydrates that provide energy. Snyder’s of Hanover and its eatsmart naturals line each offer several snacking options made with whole grains that contain 3 grams of fiber per serving.
◦ Snyder’s of Hanover 8 Grains & Seeds Pretzel Sticks ◦ eatsmart naturals Whole Grain Tortilla Chips
◦ Snyder’s of Hanover Honey Whole Wheat Pretzel Sticks ◦ eatsmart naturals MultiGrain Sunflower Chips
◦ Snyder’s of Hanover Whole Wheat and Oat Pretzel Sticks ◦ eatsmart naturals Whole Grain Cheese Curls
- Be mindful of sodium levels in snacks, and beverages, too – Too much sodium can lead to many things, including bloating and water retention which can be an obstacle to healthy weight loss. Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels have up to 40-60% less sodium than other leading brands of pretzels. Snyder’s also makes Unsalted Mini Pretzels. Keep an eye out for beverages with high sodium levels, such as flavored sports drinks. Compare labels and choose the ones lowest in sodium.
- Try lower-fat varieties of your favorite snacks – The eatsmart naturals line by Snyder’s of Hanover features tasty, lower-fat snack options. New this month is eatsmart naturals Potato Crisps which have 65% less fat (about 3.5 grams) than traditional potato chips and come in three varieties: Original, Sea Salt & Vinegar, and Mesquite BBQ.
The key to any weight loss resolution or long-term diet plan is moderation and sensible snack and meal planning. Snyder’s of Hanover offers a variety of pretzels in different sizes, shapes and flavors that are sure to satisfy virtually any craving for a crunchy snack.
# # #
About Snyder’s of Hanover
For more than 100 years, Americans have enjoyed Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels. With its unique sourdough heritage, Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels today are available across the country in single-serve sizes as well as larger, 10, 12 and even 16-ounce bags perfect for sharing. Today, America’s favorite pretzel is available in a wide variety of flavors, recipes and shapes including traditional hard pretzels, flavored pretzel bites, sticks, rods, nibblers and even gluten-free options. For more information, visit www.snydersofhanover.com or www.facebook.com/snydersofhanover.
Snyder’s-Lance, Inc., (Nasdaq-GS: LNCE) headquartered in Charlotte, NC, manufactures and markets snack foods throughout the United States and internationally. The Company’s products include pretzels, sandwich crackers, potato chips, cookies, tortilla chips, restaurant style crackers, nuts and other snacks. Snyder’s-Lance has manufacturing facilities in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Indiana, Georgia, Arizona, Massachusetts, Texas, Florida, Ohio, and Ontario, Canada. Products are sold under the Snyder’s of Hanover, Lance, Krunchers!, Cape Cod, eatsmart naturals, Jays, Grande, Tom’s, Archway, O-Ke-Doke, and Stella D’oro brand names along with a number of private label and third party brands. Products are distributed widely through grocery and mass merchandisers, convenience stores, club stores, food service outlets and other channels.