CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients; line two cupcake tins with paper liners; press the mixture into the liners. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool. Do not remove from tins.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth; cool slightly
2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. With a mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Fold the flour mixture into the batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans, filling each of the above-prepared about two-thirds full. Bake about 20 - 25 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
PREPARE THE CUSTARD:
1. . In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the cream, brown ale, brown sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt until well combined; cook the cream mixture whisking frequently until it’s hot and just beginning to steam; very slowly and in a thin stream pour the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk, whisking constantly.
2. . Return to heat and cook for 1-2 minutes whisking constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and resembles cooking pudding – do not boil.
3. Pour the custard into a small bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and immediately place in refrigerator until completely cooled (4 hours).